Tuesday, December 15, 2015

The Karate Kid: The remake

For my last post I thought I talk about the remake of my favorite movie. The Karate Kid (1984) is my favorite movie of all time. I know everything there is to know about that movie. I know the actors, where they are from, the story, the director you name it. So when the remake of my favorite movie came out needless to say the bar was high. The first thing that popped in my head is they better not try to make this movie just like the original because if they do that is it! Ive always had a secret hatred for remakes and if they did it with this one then they already messed up. As you have noticed most remakes have not been good. Whenever you here complaints about remakes it is usually that the movie did  not do the original justice. It is rare to find a good remake. Especially with bad ones off the top of my head like The Sandlot, Conan the Barbarian, and almost every horror movie remake has not been good.
 I didn't want to make any assumptions yet so I thought I should give this movie the benefit of the doubt and not prejudge it, besides it was the remake of my favorite movie so I thought that alone should make it good. When I finally saw the movie my initial reaction was positive. I thought it was a solid movie, and it was entertaining. I wasn't completed wowed or amazed like the original, but it was good enough not for me to be disappointed and I didn't consider this movie as another sorry remake. Fortunately for all Karate Kid fans this film was a decent remake.
The film grossed over 343 million worldwide which was a huge surprise to critics. Critics expected for the movie to do poorly in their numbers and did not expect the movie to garner this much money. It made 56 million over the opening weekend which was twice what critics were expecting for it to make. Which made this the sleeper hit of the year in 2010. However many are confused to how it did so great since the main actor Jaden Smith did not do so great as an actor. However others will agree Jackie Chan did a exceptional job in his part. Its funny because the same was thought about in the original. Ralph Machiho did a alrite job to some critics, but Pat Morita did a phenomenal job which earned him a best supporting actor nomination.
This film while loved by some and hated by some it showed Jackie Chan's wide acting range. He wasn't just some martial artist who did films he was now looked at as an exceptional actor with martial arts skills. So he filled the need for great acting in the film. Jaden Smith supplied the need of comedy and attractiveness. He definitely got his humor and charm from his farther so he does attract a family audience. The title of the movie brought in viewers seeking that nostalgia. Jackie Chan brought in all the martial arts enthusiasts into the theater and Jaden Smith brought in the families and viewers expecting a great performance from him like his father.

The Karate Kid: PG: 2h 20min: Action,drama,family: 2010
http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/thekaratekid/assets/images/onesheet.jpg
http://www.sweetpaul.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/karate-kid-remake.jpg
http://www.iogkf.com/newsletter/edition_2010_3/images/kk007.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkORWn_wbcY

No comments:

Post a Comment